Here’s what I have to say on the matter, and then I’m letting it go.
1. Assuming I’m going out to LA to “have fun” is an assumption made by everyone else. Sure, I’ll more than likely have a good time. But my intention in going out there is for informative and educational purposes. This may sound really stuck up to some people, but I’m actually a very shy person in reality and am put off at the thought of meeting new people, whether I’ve interacted with them through the internet or not. My husband has to fight tooth and nail with me to get me to meet new people because of my own fears and insecurities. In my mind’s eye, this really is an educational opportunity…nothing more (roll your eyes at me all you want, because I’m sure that’s what you’re doing right now).
2. When I stated in my comment that “I have every intention of coming back with loads of makeup and beauty information to share with everyone who wants to listen.” …it was meant to be stated as “makeup information and beauty information”…not “makeup, and beauty information.” I have no intentions of buying makeup while I’m out there. I’ll be lucky to have enough gas money so I can use my parents car to get me from their house to the convention center if I even get out there in the first place.
3. As matter of fact, no, I do not give money to homeless people on the street. I do, however, buy them a hot meal if they choose to accept it. And I do donate to food shelters whenever I can. I realize there are some who are less fortunate than I am. I’m not blind, nor am I stupid. I do have a heart, despite what anyone else might think.
4. I do not operate with the mentality that the world should be handed to me on a silver platter. Do I feel like I provide tutorials for free? Yes, because I know I do. No one’s forcing me to do the tutorials, nor is anyone forcing me to maintain and operate my own website. Do I make money off of the videos from the YouTube Partnership program? Yes, but it’s not even enough to pay for my school loans or my phone bill. Do I expect my viewers/readers to pay me for my services? No. When I began doing YT videos, it was a hobby. I still think of it as a hobby. It was something fun that I wanted to try and has been something fun for me ever since. Because of that, I will never charge for the videos either. Do I think I am amazing at my videos? No. In my own honest opinion, I don’t think I give the best tips in the world, nor do I think I am the most talented guru on YT. Technically speaking, I wouldn’t even classify myself as a guru.
- Hinduism & Tibetan Buddhism. A personal spiritual teacher.
- a. A teacher and guide in spiritual and philosophical matters.
b. A trusted counselor and adviser; a mentor.
- a. A recognized leader in a field.
b. An acknowledged and influential advocate, as of a movement or idea.
When I look at myself, all I see is someone who does their makeup while the video camera is recording. That’s it. Nothing more. Because of this, I do not feel like anything is “owed” to me. Anyone can do this, as we’ve seen be the case on YT. The makeup community has exploded unlike anything I would have ever expected to see on YT, and I’m glad for it. That just means more tips and advice from everyone around the world that we can all share amongst each other.
5. I don’t know about any drama that xsparkage just got out of or of whatever drama she got herself into. Whatever happened, is her own deal. She merely responded to a reply I tweeted to her about Petrilude setting up a fund. I was just giving her a word of caution due to the responses I’ve received thus far.
6. I don’t know why people would want to just give money away, but people do. Maybe not everyone, but there are some people out there that just give away money, for the sake of giving away money. And not necessarily always for charity.
7. While I can understand that everyone is probably thinking that I’m asking for money to “go have fun”, as I’ve stated earlier, that’s not my intent. As for a guarantee that any footage obtained would be uploaded as soon as I got back, if I went, I was planning on taking my computer with me to upload video each night that I got back from the event. Yes that’s just my word against yours. Take it or leave it. I apologize for the fact that I’ve been absent from YT and haven’t been uploading videos as often as I used to, but I won’t apologize for the fact that I have a life that exists outside of YT and doesn’t require me having to upload videos every week. Yes there are some gurus that make that kind of time and upload 1 or 2 videos every week. But like I stated earlier, this is a hobby for me. It’s not my life.
8. While I have been wanting to get a new camera for my videos, and an iMac for video processing, in my eyes, I can’t justify setting up a fund for that because I know I will be using the camera for purposes other than just my YT videos. THAT, is me asking for money for “something fun.”
9. I do not think everyone who has voiced their thoughts against this idea is a crybaby. Although I appreciate the support, everyone is entitled to share their opinion. That’s why comments are enabled on my blog. Some people may not always agree with my thoughts or with the thoughts of others, but there is no need for name calling or bashing people in any way, shape or form simply because they are voicing their own opinions. We’re all people here, not politicians.
10. In that same respect, there is also no need for threats. If you feel the need to respond to this and have your “posse” react to it as well, then by all means, go ahead. It’s a free country where I live and you are entitled to that right. Hate me if you want, but at the end of the day, I’m the one who has to go to bed at night and know if I am happy with myself or not. What others think of me doesn’t concern me like you might think it does. If I lose subscribers and readers over this, oh well. It’s not like everyone that follows me would be crying at my funeral if I suddenly died tomorrow (knock on wood).
Bottom line, don’t think you know who I am, what I stand for, or what my intentions are just because you’ve watched a couple of my makeup videos on YouTube.